Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Inspired by Rejection...Thursdays Children


Thursdays Children/hosted by:

So, it's really funny that last week I wrote about how I like waiting to hear back on things and then, this week, I heard back on two major things I was waiting on forever and they were both rejections (one of them on a full, which are always the worst) and it sucked. 

But, even though it's common sense, I really took the time to sit down and remind myself why I do this. It's so easy to get caught up in the query/rejection cycle and lose track. So I asked myself, in all honesty, is it the thought of getting published that keeps me writing? And the answer is no. It’s the joy I get from it. It’s the story and the characters and their world. 


And, no matter how many rejections I get, nobody can ever take the three manuscripts I've written away from me. Nobody can steal the happiness I felt while writing them. Writing has given me more consistent joy than anything else I've ever accomplished. And that is worth some pain.  

 So I decided it's okay to feel like crap for a little while. But then I have to remember that this rejection isn’t going to ruin my life. It’s just a speed bump. A hurtle. How many of those have I had? How many of those have I beaten? God knows I’ve handled things a hell of a lot more painful than a rejection. I've handled them and overcome them. And if I can do that, I can do this. 

Also, there is no way I can believe that not a single book I’ve written is worth reading. That’s bullshit.  
I've read all the books on all the main reasons people get rejected. I'm not doing any of those things wrong. It's always just a matter of personal taste. And all I have to do is keep reminding myself that, if I love the books I've written and my critique partner loves them then, eventually, I will find an agent who loves them too. 

And besides all of that, I decided one last thing. Like I mentioned up top, I asked myself: Is this going to ruin my life? Obviously the answer is no. And then I thought to myself: If it's not something that's going to ruin my life, why should I let it ruin my day? 

I think that's a pretty good motto to live by. Especially when it comes to rejections. 

If you'd like to join Thursdays Children and talk about things that inspire you as a writer, click HERE

6 comments:

  1. Great philosophy. You guys should note at the bottom which one of you is posting so we can thank you properly. And yes the joy of writing beats rejections any of the week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super inspiring post. You write for all of the right reasons, and so I suspect it's only a matter of time before those rejections will become acceptances.

    But to ease the pain, I'm giving you the Sunshine Award. Please stop by and get it. If you choose to participate, I'll enjoy getting to know you a little better.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great attitude to have, we write because we love it. Rejection sucks big time I know but it is important to remember why we started doing it in the first place.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just a little shout out to my Lady: Minions... thank you for all your help in April

    http://izombielover.blogspot.com/2013/05/this-is-for-lady-minions-quiet-thank-you.html

    Jeremy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rejections are hard to deal with. You're right, it's all personal taste, and there's some questionable personal taste out there. I'm amazed at some of the things getting published - and not in a good way. You might consider subbing to small presses and epubbers. Success there is another way to attract an agent these days. One step at a time, even if those steps are smaller than you'd wish, will get you there eventually. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rejections are harder, even more so from an agent because so much hangs on finding an agent. But to keep going is the main point and I admire you for not giving up even though it is hard!

    Also, hello! I'm one of your followers from your old blog. I like the new layout!

    ReplyDelete